Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tricky T-day: March

On a forum of which I'm a member, someone posted a trick challenge.  The challenge is to teach your dog to march.  I decided to give it a try with my two.

We've only done a few sessions, but the dogs are doing great!  Here's a video from yesterday, and they've even improved since then.

My plan is to break the behavior down like this:
1--Paw touch to palm
2--Paw touch to correct palm (left paw to right hand and vice versa)
3--Fade hand and substitute with foot (so the dog is pawing at the correct raised foot)
4--Fade physical touching with just lifting when the correct foot lifts

In the video we're somewhere between 1 and 2, and this evening we practiced in class and are at step 2.

2 comments:

  1. Well, they both really Love their tricks! Adorable. I think your cat wanted to get in on the action too.

    My shelties have always loved paw tricks the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so happy and enjoy the practice a lot!

    I think I might give it a try as Eva loves to use her front paws. Besides, I think this trick might help strengthen her hind legs at the same time.

    ReplyDelete