Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rear end strength

You'll remember that we had been trying the 2x2 weave method with Lexi. I think the method itself did help her to see the weaves, but she was still was having trouble making tougher entries, and just didn't seem able to hang on if she did get them.

After speaking with our instructor, she confirmed what I've suspected is the issue...Lexi doesn't know how to use her rear to slow down and collect/shift her body weight. So, we've started addressing this issue on the flat to build rear strength AND awareness.

In the past week or so, I've been working with Lexi to teach her to back up and to teach her to rotate around a target with her back legs. I'm very pleased with the results so far, and documented our week in a few short videos (these videos are not all of our sessions, but the majority of them).

Backing up:



I need to continue to work her backing up to add more distance, and I'd eventually like to teach her to back up steps.

Rotating:


As for the rotation, I am only able to get her to rotate one way...I'm not sure why. I have tried and tried but can't get her to turn the opposite direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment