Sunday, August 5, 2012

Attitude on Injury

We've been watching a lot of the Olympics recently, and I find myself comparing it some to our agility journey (of course we're on a much smaller scale!)  Today I was watching running and heard them mention the defending Olympic gold medal winner, Lashawn Merritt.



In his qualifying heat this year he pulled his hamstring and couldn't complete the race.  The defending Olympic champion had to pull out of all of his races for these Olympics.

I couldn't help but think about Lexi and her injury.  I know, she's not an Olympian, but I've been feeling sorry for her and for myself thinking "we were going to Regionals" and "she was doing so well" and "we've been working so hard".  I've been feeling frustrated, guilty and impatient, to name a few things.

But this man, Merritt, has been working his entire life, all 26 of his years, for this Olympic moment.  And now he is injured and can't compete.  Lexi has hurt herself and may have to wait a few months before she is ready to run again.  But that's nothing!  There are Regionals next year.  But Merritt will have to wait another 4 years to the Olympics to come around again--and at that point he will be older than the majority of competitors and will have to work against what is considered an aging body for a competitive runner.

And Merritt, had this to say, "It's very disappointing.  I'll regroup.  It's not the end of the world.  The Olympics will come around again.  Next year is a world championship.  It's just a matter of getting healthy"*.

And he's right.  I'm disappointed.  But the opportunity will come around again.  Right now, it's just a matter of getting Lexi healthy.







*source

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring post Ashley. I was the same with Sizzle beginning of the year. I know exactly how you feel as we both have dreams with our dogs. Lexi is an amazing girl and she is young and have a lot of bright future right in front of her. The important thing now is to get her all fit and you will never regret that. I have learned my lesson with Saturn, I was rushing him back to agility soon after the surgery and sadly, I made a life time mistake and he lost all his speed (he associate tunnel with bad experienced and he never forget that!) and never be the same dog again. With Sizzle, I took the "painful" and frustrating months out, watching my fellow competitors winning the classes we were dreaming for. We missed out all qualifiers but I know I did the right thing. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete