Friday, January 14, 2011

Teeter training

So tonight I'm a little frustrated.

If you look back to the post dated 11/11, you will see that I mention that Lexi had a weird set back with the teeter, and we essentially had to start her training over again.  I never could pinpoint exactly what "spooked" her--she didn't have an accident, and we were treating the teeter normally.

Well, I would say that a couple days ago I commented that her teeter was looking nice, and that she had started to bend her knees to brace for the bang.  I chalked up her original fear to maybe her getting hurt since she wasn't bracing herself.

Bad news.  Tonight we were working intervals with the teeter and Lexi was doing great.  She never had a refusal, never even missed her contact, or hesitated.  She was doing great.

We stopped working with her (put her in a down stay) and started working with Bentley.  He did about 5-10 short sequences, and we decided to work Lexi again.  The first thing she did was refuse the teeter.  I corrected her, and we tried again, and she hopped on and hopped off.  She then refused to touch it, and appeared scared. It took me a lot of coaxing to even get her to bang it (just with her front paws, and the board close to the ground).  I have no idea what happened.

I don't know what to do, nor do I know why she is acting this way.  We are going to try again tomorrow, but I have a feeling I know what the outcome will be.  I can't keep retraining the teeter...what is going on?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment