Saturday, June 5, 2010

Days 22 and 23

More belated updates--oops!  Weather here has either been hot or rainy, so we're having a hard time getting outside to work.  You'll note in the second video that it's so humid out that the camera lens kept fogging up!

Today we had a chance to try the dogwalk at full height during some short sequencing in class.  Bentley did well--didn't miss either of the two times.

Day 22 Video


Stats
Reps: 30
% Success:  87%

Thoughts:
1.  Directions.  We started adding some directions in.  It's critical that we give him information really early.  I read that some people would even say "Climb...left" or whatever, to show that the dog needed to go left after climbing.  Personally, I'm not sure Bentley's memory is that good, so the aim is to tell him as he gets to the flat board (obviously we don't do this often in the video)

Day 23 Video


Stats
Reps: 30
% Success:  90%

Thoughts:
1.  Speed.  He's still right around 2.1 seconds.  I'm happy with that, and don't want to push him anymore.  We would have to sacrifice accuracy.

Treat Review
I know this is unrelated, but I had to post some treat reviews here for anyone who's curious.  We had been using Wellness WellBites.  We loved them.  One of the few treats that were soft enough to easily break into tiny pieces during training.  I hate that some treats are too small to be broken (but not small enough for very repetitive training), and I hate that some treats can't be broken.  So these were great.

Then we switched to these to try something new.  Also, they're grain free, so less filler.  Bentley likes them, but they are SO hard to break, and I'm not comfortable giving him a full piece.  Also, not only are they hard to break up, but it takes Bentley longer to chew them, and it's really hard to quickly move on in training since you're waiting for him to chew.  So I won't be buying these again.  Back to the WellBites for us!

2 comments:

  1. For treats, you might want to try PureBites. I get mine at PetCo. They are freeze dried chicken or beef liver pieces. It's about 5 calories for the whole chunk. I hold it and let the pup bite off a bit of it. They view the chicken as higher valued, so I'll put both in a baggie and switch it up.

    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=109506&Ntt=purebites&OneResultRedirect=1

    The shown product is cheddar cheese - haven't tried it, but it you scroll, you'll see the other flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always looking for new treats. I'm going to definitely check those out.

    We are now using a lot of hot dogs and easy cheese!

    ReplyDelete