Sunday, February 19, 2012

Inside/Outside turn comparisons

Several weeks ago in class we did an interesting exercise.  We were presented with a few tough sequences from some "famous" courses, and were asked to perform them two ways.  Once, turning the dog to the outside, and once turning them to the inside.  Prior to running, we were asked to guess which way the dog would be faster.

As a key to the worksheets, the circled answer (where it says "fastest") was our guess.  The times written were the actual times for each sequence.  (Note: click on photo to see them larger)


Bentley p.2:
Lexi p. 2:

A few observations:
Not surprisingly, Lexi was faster to the outside every time.  I was 3/4 in guessing correctly.

I was surprised, however, to see that Bentley was faster to the outside a couple times.  We have a tendency to turn inside with him much more often, but I'll definitely be rethinking that.  I'm guessing it's because it's harder for him to speed up again once he slows down and collects for turns.


1 comment:

  1. That's interesting and a great exercise. Especially to guess which way they'd go. I was surprised which way it went myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete