Starting to get hot out...so we did short sessions at the field. You'll notice at 1:11 in the video we start doing the entire length of the dogwalk. Previously we had just been doing the down side.
% Success: 93%
1. Obstacle. I was SO pleased when we started taking him over the entire obstacle. He transitioned easily and did great. (Oh, and don't mind the attempt around 1 minute where he's choking on a treat!)
2. Analysis. Still struggling with jumps v. strides. As my husband says, "we'll know it when we see it". As the board goes higher, I think this will get easier.
3. Distance and Independence. I started working away from Bentley, and he did great. I think the high value he associates with the obstacle has helped him to drive towards the obstacle, whereas before he wouldn't go without me. I was able to send from about 15 feet out without him turning around to find me. I also stopped, and ran backwards a couple times and he didn't even notice.
4. Timeline. Our original goal was to be prepared to trial in August. However, we have a trial next weekend (we'll be skipping out on Standard), and then one in mid-July (we'll skip out on Standard and GP). Then we have nothing until December (we're missing an October trial for a wedding). I hope we can find an away-trial to go to before then, or we'll have 6 months with no trials.
Training Goals (obviously subject to change!):
-June 1: To be running a dogwalk at competition height, and to be adding it into short sequencing.
-July 15: To be running an A-Frame at competition height (this is a lofty goal!)
-August 1: To be working towards a cleaner, faster teeter.